Thursday, March 13, 2008

My spring break

While many college students are in Florida getting tans and partying, I decided to spend it volunteering. This spring break, I spent a week in Chicago giving back to the community. I am here with MTSU's Alternative Spring Break program doing various activities around the city, including beach clean up, visiting an assisted living community and working in the Chicago Food Depository. My favorite activity was working with inner city kids at the Chicago Boys and Girls club.  Programs like these are a refreshing change from the disturbances of their outside environment. These programs keep these kids out of trouble by providing fun activities inside and helping the kids with their homework. This has been a very beneficial trip for me as well as the other students of this trip. We all wish that we could stay longer and further help this community. I hope that we can bring this same spirit back to Murfreesboro and disprove the stereotypical nonexistent role of college students in the community and their lack of care for it. Hopefully this experience has had the same effect on the others in this group as it has had on me.

No comments: